Water damage can cause major issues in a home. Water damage can occur to anyone, for many reasons. The most common causes of water damage are:
– Water leaks. Burst pipes are the most frequently cited cause for restoration of water damage. Damage from storms and roof leak are also reasons to consider. In the majority of instances, however, the damage caused by burst pipes is the most costly because it requires going to the attic, which usually means tearing down the ceiling or the roof.
– Drying. This is a lesser-known cause of water damage restoration costs but it’s worth mentioning. A standing foot bath with water (or shower) is when you shower with no water coming out of the shower head. Because they are so damp, if the floor or walls become wet , they may dry quickly. If the water is dried out too quickly it can cause mold to develop which is not an ideal situation.
Average cost of water damage restoration. The cost of water damage restoration will vary based upon the extent of the damage. A damaged pipe or minor damage will usually cost less than a fourth of the cost to hire a restoration firm. Damage that is serious enough to shut down a structure for days and is insured usually costs more than half of the average cost for repairs to water damage.
– Carpeting Drying Out. If your house is in need of extensive restoration work for water damage this could mean that all the carpets in the area need to be removed and replaced. This will likely raise the cost of the repair job because you will need to purchase new carpeting or padding.
– Leaking Pipes. It is very rare for a leaking pipe to be caused by restoration of water damage services. In the majority of cases the water damage may simply have been caused by poor maintenance. A clogged sink, toilet or drainage system could cause water damage round the clock, even during a brief emergency. In this case the cost of the repair would be approximately two-thirds of what it will cost to replace the carpeting.
Drying wet carpeting. If your home is completely saturated with water, your carpeting will likely need to be dried out quickly it could cost more than one-fourth of water damage restoration cost per square foot. The drying process could be faster if you have to clean up a flood-damaged basement. Lower levels are generally dry. Even if your basement is dry, water damage may occur under carpeting due to the expansion and contraction caused by the drying of water. To determine the cost of drying per square foot, you need to calculate the total area of the room divided by the number of square feet, and then multiply the result by the average water damage restoration cost per square foot. Learn more about Cladosporium mold is common now.
– Drying and Spills Sometimes water damage restoration companies are called in on extremely wet days. If there is an incident, the spill will require cleaning up immediately. The area affected by the spill needs to be cleaned and sanitized in order engage a plumber to get rid of the mess and ensure that the area is completely dry. For larger spills, especially those that are under carpets or behind wallpaper it might be necessary to have the carpet pulled up and replaced altogether. After the area is dry, the water damage restoration contractor will need to dry it out. This will cost more than hiring professionals for water damage restoration.